Thursday, October 12, 2023

Finishing Up

While we were out at the cottage together Margarit and I decided to do some house cleaning.  We dug through the cupboards and found that we had two to three years worth of stale food.  This included started boxes of crackers, cereal, chips and snacks.  We put most of it out for the birds, and kept a little stuff that was still unopened, though somewhat outdated.  We will take that home and see if the teenage girls decide that it is edible.  This left a lot more space in the cupboards and we were able to put all the excess groceries away, freeing up some counter space.  We vowed that going forward we won't be so excessive in our grocery purchases.
On Thanksgiving Monday we just puttered around on some chores at the cottage.  We made a run to the dump and got rid of some construction waste, some cardboard, and a little household garbage.  Then we went to work over in the guest cottage for a bit.  Now that it is close to finished I don't want to get the place all messed up with sawdust and construction debris.  So I got Margarit to hold the shop vac right behind the chop saw while I cut up some material.  I cut up the last of the tile edging for the bathroom.  Then I switched over the saw blade from a metal one, to a wood one, and we cut up the casing for the bathroom door.  I used the brad nailer and we installed that.
Later in the afternoon I split some fire wood and Margarit tidied up around the yard a little.  There remains one old pile of cut logs that need to be split.  These are behind the garage, and I got a good start on them today.  There are still some big logs back there that need to be cut up, but most of them belong to my neighbor, and only a few are mine.  The remaining cut logs are all over at the guest cottage, and they aren't all that old it.  It seems they will have to wait until next year.
Margarit washed the old retro medicine cabinet that we recently picked up at an antique store.  After it had dried I gave it a first coat of white spray paint.  Later in the afternoon I made us a batch of wings before Margarit had to hit the road for home.  After she left I installed another section of ceramic tile backsplash in the kitchen of the guest cottage.  I will stay one more day and finish up a few odds and ends and do a thorough clean up in the cottage before I head home.
Next time I come out I will bring some stock to make door stops.  I can install this, and then continue with the installation of corner trim and baseboards.  I can also carry on with the ceramic tiles, and the remaining floor tiles.







No comments: