Thursday, July 20, 2023

Brothers in Nordegg

My brother-in-law Shawn came out to Nordegg with me on July 12th.  My two brothers declined, so I suppose it was the Brother-in-Laws trip.  It was great to get away from the city for a few days after being a little burned out looking after my mother.  But Shawn and I had a great time.
There were a few firsts for Shawn...  he played his first round of golf... he learned his first guitar chords, and he got re-introduced to Gin and Tonic.
While I was away, we had Margarit's 1972 VW Beetle in the shop.  It sat for the past couple of years and the fuel system got clogged up.  This was mostly due to the fuel tank starting to rust.  We had a new tank and carburetor installed by a shop in West Edmonton.  They finished the work while Shawn and I were away, so I paid the invoice with a credit card, and Margarit and Hailey picked up the Beetle.  All of Margarit's previous Beetles were named, and she finally came up with a name for this one... Jitterbug... or Jiggy for short.
While we were out at Nordegg, and aside from our two rounds of golf, Shawn and I puttered around at the cottage.  I made another batch of smoked salmon.  We also did a batch of smoked pork ribs that were really good...!!  I worked on applying paint and lacquer to most of the remaining trim materials.  I also managed to install the last little bit of aspen panelling.  While I was doing that Shawn cut up a bunch of deadfall, and worked on splitting it with the wood splitter.  He took nine feed sacks full of split wood home for his backyard firepit, but also replenished a significant portion of the woodpile that I burnt last winter.
Most days it was really smokey due to some forest fires in British Columbia.  All of the fires in central Alberta are currently contained but there are still some burning in the far north of the province.  The ones in northeastern British Columbia are really large and remain out of control.  It is these that are contributing to really smokey conditions.  Some days we could not see across the valley to peaks around us. 









No comments: