Thursday, September 29, 2016

Mount Assiniboine

Another negative from the recent trip.... this one a rather noble portrait of the majestic peak.  I shot this from up on the Nublet, on our first full day up at the Lodge.  The shoulder of Sunburst Peak is visible on the right.  This was taken on September 15th at about 12:15PM.  I used my Nikkor 300mm lens, fitted with a six stop neutral density filter and a #25 Red filter.  The red filter provided some added contrast, and the neutral density was just to increase the exposure time.  I was trying to go for a long exposure that would show some movement in the clouds... partially successful I suppose.  This was at F32.0 and a shutter speed of 1 minute.  This particular shot was on Kodak T-Max 100, exposed at 80 iso, and processed in 510 Pyro, 1:100. I tried another shot on Fuji Neopan Acros with the lens stopped down further, to F90.0, resulting in an 8 minute exposure.  Perhaps that will show a more moody, blurry sky.  I have to wait until I get around to processing that one and then compare the two.
I like the contrast between the highlights on the glacier, and the deep shadowed areas.  It's difficult to tell from this crappy scan but I believe there are some subtle details and tonality visible in both the highlights and the shadows, the ultimate goal of film geeks such as myself.

1 comment:

Chris BIGDoer Doering said...

Dear Lord, amazing shot Rob. I've seen the mountain from a distance and it's impressive, but up close, WOW! Looks like an easy stroll to the summit.