Monday, November 24, 2014

Winter Photography

On Saturday around lunch time, before my hockey game, I packed up my gear and headed down to the river.  I hoped to be able to photograph the ice bloom that had started here in Edmonton on the North Saskatchewan River.  It had started a couple of weeks ago, when it first turned cold.  This was right around the time of our Monochrome Guild Fall Photo Weekend in Jasper.  Shortly after that weekend the river was beginning to get choked up with ice. It was looking as though it might freeze solid before the weekend and I might not get a chance to shoot it again this year.  But then conditions got milder and I was optimistic that the bloom would be delayed enough for me to capture it on my days off work.  I found a great spot down by the river, with some good overviews available from this pedestrian bridge.  But, the weather had been too mild, and despite the recent fresh snow, most of the ice had melted off of the river, except for the crust forming at the edges.  So I took a couple of record shots with my 4x5 and am hopeful that the next cold snap won't hit until a weekend, and I will have an opportunity to get out and capture it.
Here is a shot from November of 2009 to give some idea of the natural spectacle that I am hoping to capture.  And here are a couple of iPhone snapshots of the location that I went to this weekend.  Perhaps next weekend conditions will improve...





No comments: