Thursday, September 18, 2014

Processing 8" x 10" Sheet Film

After shooting some 8" x 10" sheet film last weekend... for the first time in a couple years..., I felt inspired to set up and process some of the negatives.  So I mixed up the chemistry and set out to process some Efke PL25M in Rodinal.  This batch included a couple sheets from the recent weekend day trip, as well as 9 sheets of old stuff....
I used some plastic tanks that I made at the shop, with some stainless steel film hangers.  This was the first time I would use these items for processing.  Much to my dismay, when I turned the lights on after processing, I found that my fixer tank had a leak and that the negatives were not properly fixed.  I quickly realized what the problem was and flipped of the room lights, and turned on a weak safe light.  This type of light is safe for paper, but not completely safe for film.  Fortunately at this point in the process the development was complete, and is was only fixing of the negatives that was lacking.  I think that exposure to the weak safelight would have had little effect on the image.
I quickly mixed up a tray of fixer and transferred all the partially fixed negatives into it.  After a few minutes I was able to turn the room light back on.  The images were obviously salvaged, but there was some mottling of the tones and this error on my part certainly didn't do the negatives any good.  I need to rebuild these tanks and test them before attempting any further processing.
Most of these negatives date way back to 2008 and 2009.  It was interesting to find that I had a shot of the old barn up by the Russian Monastery from 2008, as well as one from this past weekend.  It was obvious that the elements and gravity were beginning to take their tole on this picturesque old structure.  I don't think it will be around for too many more years and should probably try and get out to shoot it a few more times as it dies a slow death...
This particular film is very slow.  Even in broad daylight, exposures are often several seconds, particularly when filters are used.  I think it works particularly well for stationary subjects like buildings, and I don't mind the effect created when the wind moves the leaves, the grasses, and the clouds during the longer exposures.  










No comments: