Friday, April 5, 2013

Night Photography

Some of the members of the Monochrome Guild had great intentions of heading out tonight to do some night photography.  As we didn't have much opportunity to scout around or to do much planning, we thought we would try out in the industrial area on the eastern edge of the city.  Through the day the weather forecast worsened and we were forecast to get freezing rain turning to snow.  I remained optimistic and decided to wait until the last minute before deciding whether or not to call it off.  I needed to take Hailey to her dance class at 8:00PM and decided to wait until that was over, see what conditions were like, and then make the call.  The timing was just about right as it was just getting dark by the time I got Hailey back home around 9:00PM.  It was overcast, breezy and cool, with the temperature just a couple of degrees above freezing.  But, there was no rain or snow so I decided to give it a try.  One by one all of my friends had been bailing out during the afternoon and in the end I had to head out by myself.  I set up my 4x5 once and shot a couple of sheets of film.  The rest of the time I just scouted around and took a few digital snapshots with my little point and shoot camera.  Here are a couple of the better ones, converted to grayscale.  I found a couple of spots I'd like to go back to on a little warmer evening, hopefully without the breeze.  Just as I returned home at around 11:30PM the freezing rain hit and as I write this, half an hour later, it is coming down quite heavily.  This project will remain on the back burner for a while as I have too many things on the go the next little while and won't be able to consider heading out again for at least a couple of weeks.  Its probably just as well as it appears that this rotten winter weather will not quit and it may be a few more weeks before spring actually arrives.




No comments: