Thursday, January 3, 2013

Second Last Batch...

Agfa Photo of Germany went out of business several years ago.  Their APX 25 film, though only available in roll formats, was one of my favorites.  I also did some shooting over the years with their APX100 film, which was available in roll as well as sheet formats.  Though it is a nice film, and it provided me with several exceptional negatives over the years, I find it similar to several others that are still on the market.  So I did not stock pile any when Agfa went out of business.  I did have a certain amount in my inventory, and had a couple more boxes given to me, and over the past few years I have been using it up.  Unless there is one more box buried down in the bottom of my film freezer, I believe that I have now used it all.  I processed a batch of 20 sheets earlier this week; normal development, in dilute [1:50] Rodinal developer.  Those sheets are now washed, dried and scanned and I have posted most of them here.  I think I have about a dozen sheets left to process, but will double check to make sure that I have used up all my stock before I process that last batch...
Here are a couple of images, taken in 2010, for my "Playground Ghost" series.  These were on a "Dad and Daughter" camping weekend with Hailey, in the town of Beauvallon...



These next two images were taken on a long weekend trip to Saskatchewan in 2009...



The Monochrome Guild "Fall Photo Weekend" in Drumheller in October of 2009 yielded these two.  One of Willow Creek, and the other an overview of the Red Deer River Valley...



The "Heartland Project" is an attempt, by the Monochrome Guild, to document the tremendous change that is taking place in the Heartland area northeast of Edmonton.  This includes Strathcona County, Lamont County, and Sturgeon County.  This area is quickly being developed and will eventually include some of the largest industrial projects in North America.  These projects are all related to the development of Alberta's Oil Sands, further to the north.  Some of our group members are working to document this ongoing change as the area transitions from rural agricultural and small town lifestyles, to large industrial sites.  These next few images were taken on various outings into that area during the first half of 2012...





Two from the Monochrome Guild "Spring Photo Weekend" in the Rocky Mountains in May of 2012...



And finally, some odds and ends...  An Aspen Grove at Elk Island National Park, old batteries at the abandoned Brazeau Collieries site near Nordegg, a beaver dam in Jasper National Park, the southern Alberta badlands from the "Fall Fossil Weekend" in 2012, regrowth after a forest fire near Lodgepole, and Totem Peak from our summer travels with our Austrian relatives...







There was briefly some hope that the Agfa emulsions would be given a second life by Adox.  They introduced several of the old emulsions as CHS 25, 50 and 100 Art.  As I previously reported on my blog these and several other emulsions were suddenly discontinued as a result of a fatal equipment breakdown at the coating plant in Croatia.  Rumor has it that some new slow emulsions will be introduced in 2013 by at least two different manufacturer's so I anxiously await any news...

No comments: