Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Winter Lifestyle

Winter has settled in a little earlier than usual here in central Alberta.  When I awoke on the weekend, this is what I found outside my living room window....
More than a little depressing... to say the least....
When I returned home from my hockey game on Saturday night/Sunday morning at around 1:00AM, it was -19C.  Not so bad all things considered.... My friend Frank tells me that it was -36C in Drunheller on Sunday morning when he got up...


At the encouragement of my business partners... who probably took the day off... I decided to open my shop on the holiday monday... Remembrance Day.  With the current weather conditions we are winding down for the season.  Although we have lots of things to clean up, there is a mood of hibernation in the air as we look towards our down time.  Nonetheless my staff will get an extra paid day over the Christmas break as we worked on Monday.  After work I came home and hit the darkroom, anxious to start printing...
T'is the season...
Now that shooting opportunities are limited to fair weather days, it is time to hit the darkroom and start printing.  As Ansel Adams used to say...   "the negative is the score, and the print is the performance..."
Not much point investing the time to capture all these images, and then spend the time processing the negatives, if I am not going to follow through and produce the finished work.  With two gallery exhibitions upcoming in 2013, it is time to get busy.
This time around I worked on two images that may end up being included in the Procession West exhibitions upcoiming in the summer of 2013...
As I fixed and toned these two prints, I took a couple of snapshots of the finished work intensifying in a bath of selenium toner...



Oops... who left that bottle of old Number Seven sitting there....

No comments: