Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Print Session

Last Friday evening I worked on printing a couple of my negatives.  Arda and Tanja from the Monochrome Guild came over to watch me print, and learn my split filter printing technique.  This technique involves giving fiber-based multigrade paper at least two exposures, one filtered for high contrast, and the second filtered for the mid-tones.  The exposure times of the two exposures are adjusted to achieve the desired overall contrast.  Then selective burning and dodging is undertaken, to specific areas of the print, to adjust local contrast and exposure.  It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, which was the reason that the two of them wanted to see it done first hand.  Hopefully I was able to demonstrate the technique successfully and they left having learned something.  After they went home, I worked on second negative... well into the morning hours.
On Saturday the prints sat in a holding tray of water while we celebrated my mothers birthday.  My parents, by two brothers with their families, and my girls all enjoyed a family dinner together.
The next day I returned to the darkroom to finish fixing, clearing, toning and washing these prints.  Here they are being toned in a tray of selenium....



No comments: