Tuesday, February 14, 2012

C-41 Processing

Even though I am, for the most part, a black and white photographer, I do shoot some color film.  This is a mix of color negative and color transparency film.  C-41 is the chemistry that is used to process color negative film.  There are also a couple of specialty black and white films that are processed with this chemistry.  The chemistry is rather costly, and not available in small quantities.  But, there are no local labs left processing this material in formats larger than 35mm.  So, for all my 120 medium format film, as well as my 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film, I would have to send it out for processing.  Instead, I have purchased a large batch of this chemistry, which should last me for some time.  I tend to save up all my color negative film for a year or more, and then when there is a large enough batch, I set up my Jobo processor, mix up the chemistry, and process several batches.  I am in the midst of my annual batch and have so far processed 7 sheets of 8x10, five rolls of 35mm, and a dozen rolls of 120 medium format.  I still have fifty sheets of 4x5 left to go, which I hope to get to in the coming days.  I have attached scans of some of the better images from these first few batches.










No comments: