Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sun Glazed Ice

This image is also from the recent batch of Efke PL25M 4" x 5" sheet film, developed in Rodinal 1:50.  This shot was taken out on the ice at Abraham Lake.  I assure you that my camera was properly levelled on the tripod.  It is the ice that is sloped, as it slowly collapses through the winter months as the water in the reservoir is released.  I like the way that the surface of the ice became glazed by the sun, which really showed up nicely in this backlit composition.
Abraham Lake is very popular with tourists that come out to see the ice bubbles.  This image was taken rather late in the "Bubbling" season and the ice was not only collapsing, but was starting to accumulate a little sticky snow in places.
I shot this on March 12th 2023 at about 1:15 in the afternoon.  I used by Ebony 4x5 view camera and a Fujinon 125mm lens.  A red filter was added to separate the clouds from the sky, and to increase contrast.



No comments: