Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Wind in the Bighorns

One of the first images I shot in 2021 with the new Chamonix 8x10 view camera.  This one was shot on Kodak Tri-X Pan 320 film, processed in PMK developer.  Its a good thing that I have lots of stock of film left in my freezer as the cost of 8x10 sheet film has recently increased to around $15 per sheet.
This image was taken just a short distance away from my cottage, near Nordegg.  The mountain range visible in the background is the Bighorn Range.  I shot this on January 3rd.  It was warm, but really windy, which made it feel a lot colder than it was, and very unpleasant.  At first I attempted to take some photographs up near Abraham Lake, but the wind was too strong to set up the big camera.  I retreated to the east and managed to shelter myself a little bit to take this shot.
The Provincial government here in Alberta recently rescinded a decades old policy that placed a moratorium on mining in the eastern slopes.  Coal leases have been sold all over this area and if the government has their way, open pit coal mines will be operating in the mountains.  I have taken it upon myself to rally against this stupidity.  Hopefully enough people take a stand and this can be stopped.



No comments: