Monday, May 25, 2020

May Long Weekend

I headed back out to the cottage on Friday after work.  The Victoria Day long weekend was from May 16 to 18 this year, and I was looking forward to the extra day off.  It was very busy out in the mountains.  As the corona virus panedemic seems to be flattening out, a lot of businesses are beginning to reopen.  This includes all the campsites and many provincial parks.  There were lots of campers out in the mountains for the long weekend, and lots of ATV riders out on all the trails.  Most of the cottages up in the subdivision were occupied as well.
Work is my middle name and this weekend would be no exception.  The girls went out a couple of days ahead of me and Margarit started planting around 75 pine seedlings that we recently purchased.  We are putting chicken wire cages around them all so hopefully the deer don't eat them.  Once I got out there and got busy, I let her continue with that and I worked on a bunch of other chores.  The snowmobiles got stored away for the season and I cleaned out and organized our garage.  I split a big pile of firewood and make yet another stack.  Seems this job is endless and there are still two large piles of logs that need to be cut up and split.  I also shoveled some gravel and filled a few holes that had settled around the yard after the winter.
I cleaned up a bunch of deadfall and we took a load of garbage to the dump.  There is still a little construction debris left lying around the yard from when the cottage was built.  I cooked dinner twice for the girls.  On Saturday night we had steak and baked potatoes, with a salad.  On Sunday I made a batch of Enchiladas with mexican rice, salad and refried beans.  Also made a big brunch for everyone on Sunday morning.
There have been a couple of woodchucks hanging around for the past year and it seems at least one of them has now emerged from hibernation.  I also saw a pine marten in the yard on Monday morning.  Hailey saw a group of five elk in the yard earlier in the week.
It was with great disappointment that the weekend came to an end and I had to return to the city for another week of work.  The girls decided to stay out at the cottage through the week.  It remains to be seen what next weekend brings.  The forecast through the week is not great, with rain and the possibility of more snow.  If that happens, hopefully the fire ban will get lifted.





No comments: