Monday, June 10, 2019

Mimi's Pub - Grand Opening

It's been a long time coming, but we finally have a neighborhood pub.  Mimi's Pub recently opened in the Petrolia Shopping Center.  I can remember as a teen growing up and going to nearby Harry Ainlay Composite High School, that the structure that would eventually house the pub was once a Gulf service station.  Many a time my friends and I pulled up and put two or three dollars worth of gas in one of our vehicles so that we could drive around.  That was back in the day when gas cost about 17 cents a litre, so when we scrapped up our change, we actually got a reasonable amount.  At one point Gulf sold out to Petro Canada so the name on the station changed.  Years later, after the station had sat empty and unused for an extended period of time, it was eventually gutted and renovated.  It took quite a while, but eventually it re-opened as Mimi's Pub.
They actually opened in late April or early May, and we went there a few times to check it out.  I approached the owners and asked if they were interested in hanging any photography.  They were thrilled at the chance to get some art on their walls so I entered into a contract with them to display the work of the Monochrome Guild for the next year, with an option to renew.  Initially my work is hanging in the Pub but I pledged to refresh the work every couple of months, so when I do, some of the other Guild members will be included.
On a Saturday afternoon in late May, they had their official Grand Opening Celebration.  The place was packed and they had a lot of free food and drink.  Margarit and I walked over with Helena and checked it out.  My prints had gone up on the wall just the day before.  It has become a favorite stop of ours and we stop in fairly regularly.



No comments: