Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Back to Photography

In recent weeks, with the work at my cottage beginning to get wrapped up, I find myself returning to film.  I stopped a couple of times on the way home from Nordegg in recent weeks, to make photographs.  And last weekend I really immersed myself back into it during the annual Fall Photo Weekend with the gang from the Monochrome Guild.  Tonight I posted am image to my Flickr account, the first time in nearly five months.  It is not a recently taken photograph as none of that film is processed yet.  Instead it was an image taken in May of 2017.  This was back at a time when the staffing situation at my business was a little more stable, and I was attempting to take every other Friday off.  This was one of the last times I managed to do that, and as I recall even this day was cut short to a half day off.  Shortly after that a long term employee resigned, for personal reasons, and ever since then I have been slowly re-establishing an office routine.  Things are a little more under control now and I am finally able to take a few hours off now and then.
This image was taken in a small forgotten rural cemetery up in Lamont County.  I used a 240mm lens on my Ebony view camera and recorded this scene on Efke PL25 4" x 5" sheet film.  The film was developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 7:00 minutes.  I put a #25 Red Filter and a six-stop neutral density filter on the lens when I took this photograph.  With this slow film, rated at 10 iso, this resulted in an exposure of 16 minutes, in combination with a small aperture of F45.  I was attempting to let the quickly moving clouds blur somewhat, and smudge the motion of the trees swaying in the wind, while pumping up the contrast.  Not sure that the long exposure part was all that successful but I like the composition.  Hopefully this is the first of many images to come as I dive back into photography...!


No comments: