Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Another Weekend in Nordegg

I headed out to the cottage after work last Friday.  The girls were already out there, and had been through most of the week.  I brought a few groceries and supplies with me, and arrived at about 9:30.
I also brought out some truck parts for our contractor Scott.  Margarit and I headed over to his place to drop them off and then stayed and had a drink and visited a bit.  Our neighbors Wade and Carrie were also visiting there with Scott and his wife...
I slept in a bit on Saturday and then eventually got up and set to work.  Margarit and I cleaned the stone floor that we installed last weekend. Then I installed some aluminum heat reflectors to the walls in the corner where our wood stove will go.  I also cut some hardwood trim to mount on the floor around the stone.  Later in the afternoon Scott and a couple of neighbors came over and helped me to lift the stove into place.  I then set about trying to install the chimney.
I quickly discovered that our stove supplier had not provided enough chimney pipe, and I was short one three foot section.  So I was unable to install the chimney and once again I was not able to take the scaffold down....
The girls spent most of the week hanging out with the daughters of our neighbors.  They have begun to develop a friendship and now seem anxious to spend more time at the cottage.  On Saturday evening we all got together and visited some more.
It had been really hot during the week.  On Friday our thermometer recorded a temperature of +38C in the early afternoon.  Even in the evening, by the time I arrived, it was still around 30.  Saturday was overcast and a little cooler.  It rained heavily late Saturday night and into Sunday and turned the place back into a mudhole.  On Sunday afternoon the high temperature only reached +7C.  A remarkable difference of over 30 degrees in less than 48 hours...!!
Without enough material to finish the chimney, there was not a lot that I could do.  It was too wet outside to get after any of the exterior work and the scaffold was in the way inside.  We packed up a little earlier than usual and headed for home by about 5:00 in the afternoon.  Next time I come out I'll bring some extra chimney pipe so I can finish the stove installation and get rid of the scaffold once and for all...


No comments: