Monday, July 4, 2016

East Coulee Springfest 2016

Every year at the beginning of May there is a music festival in East Coulee.  It has been running for about 20 years now.  The festival is a fundraiser for the East Coulee School Museum and features mostly local bands.  It is a real mix of folk, bluegrass, country, with a little alternative and rock mixed in.  The shows run simultaneously on several stages in the School Museum and in the adjacent community hall.  This year it ran in the evening on Friday May 6th and all day on Saturday May 7th.
Yes... I am TWO MONTHS BEHIND in posting to my blog.  I hope to catch up on that in the coming weeks but it will be a challenge.
Middle daughter Annelise signed up for competitive dance this year and as a result she has been really busy through May and June with dance competitions, rehearsals and recitals.  Oldest daughter Hailey just signed up for recreational dance so she only has to go to her weekly class, and a year end recital.
The weekend of the Spring Fest, Annelise was in a dance competition in Banff.  So, Margarit had to take her and missed out on the Spring Fest.  I went down to East Coulee with the other two girls and we took in the festival.  Mostly Hailey and I took in the festival... Helena found it too loud so she mostly stayed in our trailer back at the Dinosaur Valley Studios shop and watched movies on TV.
I really enjoyed the festival this year and had a great time.  Small venues are so imtimate and it is a wonderful way to experience live music.  I ended up taking a few snapshots with my digital camera and got some good ones of the action.  There were no really big, high profile musicians at the show but I really enjoyed most of the acts that I saw... this included Nettie Mack, St. James Gate, Crystal Plamondon, Layne Syvertsen, among others.  There is just so much going on that it is impossible to see everyone and you have to just wander around and catch as much as you can.  I'm already looking forward to next year, and hopefully Margarit will be able to see it then too.












No comments: