Monday, July 25, 2016

Back to Nordegg

Our plans to head out to Nordegg on the weekend of July 16 and 17 were postponed.  It rained a lot over that weekend and the days before.  I understand that nearly five inches of rain fell over the course of several days.  Our contractor managed to rough in the driveway on our property, and got a base coat of gravel fill spread out.  We headed out this past weekend and spent a pretty enjoyable couple of days.  I was a little tense and worried all weekend long as I burnt out the clutch on my truck trying to back our trailer up the slope onto our property.  But we were out there with two of our trucks so we were never really stranded.  I managed to nurse the truck with the damaged clutch back home, and now have it in the shop for repairs so everything turned out all right.
We hauled an old trampoline that my brother gave us out to the property and set it up in the bush for the girls.  They spent the better part of the weekend bouncing on it and it seems to be a hit.
My mom came along with us for the weekend and got to see our property for the first time.  We took a day trip up the Forestry Trunk Road to the Blackstone River on Saturday afternoon.  Here Margarit gathered a bunch of rocks for her rock garden back in the city.  The girls went swimming and splashing in the cold water of the Blackstone.  It was running pretty high and dirty in light of the recent rains, but they found a couple of side pools that were out of the main stream.  I tried out the new rifle that I recently purchased, a Browning lever-action 30.06, and also took a few shots with my view camera.
We put a salt block out in the bush on our property for the game animals, and I set up a game camera on Saturday and left it out until Sunday, just to see what was around.  There has regularly been a white tail doe wandering around and the camera demonstrated that she was a regular visitor.  She quickly discovered the salt block and on Sunday morning brought around her fawn.  We also had a buck stop by to check things out.  I set the date incorrectly on my game camera so these were actually taken on July 24... not the 25th...



No comments: