Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Processing Ilford Films

Last weekend I processed a mixed batch of Ilford films.  All were 4" x 5" sheet film negatives.  This batch included 1 sheet of FP4+ that received normal development, 10 sheets of FP4+ that received N+1 development [for increased contrast], and 10 sheets of HP5+ that received normal development.
The FP4+ material was developed in Kodak HC-110 Developer, Dilution B.  Normal development was for 6:20 minutes, but the plus development sheets stayed in the chemistry for 14:20 minutes.
The HP5+ material was developed in Ilford Ilfotec HC Developer, 1:31, for 6:30 minutes.
I really like the FP4+ material with N+1 development and will continue to shoot with this combination when the situation dictates.  I don't particularly care for Normal development with this film and will probably not bother to shoot it that way in the future.
I continue to refine my development of HP5+ and in the future I will give the film less exposure and reduce development time as I believe this will yield an image with more crispness.  I am also experimenting with this film in 510 Pyro.
Processing was completed on the weekend but the film did not finish washing and get dried and scanned until tonight.  Almost all of these images were taken in 2013, during various trips out to the mountains.  There are a couple that were taken in the fall of 2014 on a trip down to the southern Alberta badlands.

















No comments: