Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Underground Rebels

Back in 1998 I separated from my first wife and we entered into a long, drawn out divorce battle that went on for several years.  I was very distressed at the time and desperate to find some legal representation.  A divorce lawyer was recommended to me by my corporate solicitor but when I contacted him I quickly learned that he was not taking any new clients at the time.  I eventually ended up speaking to his partner who agreed, probably in sympathy, to represent me.  I was very fortunate as Gary Frohlich is an excellent and very experienced lawyer and did a great job representing my interests.  Gary's son Kurt was a struggling musician, in a couple of bands, and when they discovered that I was a photographer, I soon became involved in some of the projects of the band.  Kurt and his friends were in a KISS tribute band called Black Diamond.  They also had a glam rock band called the Loving Dead.  It's hard to believe that was 15 years ago...  It wasn't long after that, that Margarit and I met, moved in together, got married and had kids...  But for a while there I spent a lot of time at various clubs around the city taking photographs of the guys.  The Frohlich family and I became friends and have stayed in touch, somewhat sporadically, over the years.  I did some promotional photos of Kurt, his friend D, and a couple of the other guys in the band.  I also put together the album cover for their Do it Again CD.  It was a fun time and as I think back about it now, all these years later, I have a lot of fond memories.




Later Kurt and D moved down to Las Vegas.  They played in a number of tribute and cover bands down there and built a life for themselves in the entertainment industry.  The Loving Dead evolved into a new band that now is called the Underground Rebels.  Every once in a while they would return to Edmonton and play a show, and Margarit and I always went out to see them.  It has been at least seven or eight years since they played here.  Last night they were back in town and played a show down at the Pawn Shop, a bar down on Whtye Avenue.  Margarit and I were invited like usual, and we made a point of getting out to see the band and the family.  Kurt is now married and has a daughter of his own.  Gary and his wife Edyth were there like usual, as was sister Krista, all strong supporters.  It was great to see everyone again and we're grateful that we were included on the guest list.  Here are a bunch of shots that I took last night with my little point and shoot digital camera.  Sure brought back a lot of great old memories...










No comments: