Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Update - Procession West Project

The last few months have been spent frantically preparing for the first exhibition of the Procession West project.  I finished making the last of my prints back in March.  Since then I have been cutting mounts and matts, as well as framing materials.  Last night I finally got around to starting to assemble my frames.  I got five of them put together last night, and will continue with more tonight.  I hope to have the 18 prints that I need for our first exhibition, completed by the weekend.  My collaborator Rob already has his 18 prints finished and ready to go.  Next Friday we have to deliver 36 framed prints to the Art Gallery of Regina.  Our show will be installed on June 17th, and will hang at the gallery until late August.  We also have copies of our Procession West book being printed right now.  Some of these will be available for viewing and purchase during the show.  We are both donating a smaller print to the silent auction that will be held in conjunction with a fundraising gala at the gallery.  Everything seems to be falling into place nicely and it looks like we will be ready with a few days to spare.  We will load up our four plywood shipping crates in the back of my truck on Thursday June 13th.  Then very early on Friday morning we will make the 8 hour drive to Regina, and personally deliver our prints to the gallery that afternoon.  We could have sent these crates by common carrier, but the cost would have been around $500 each way, plus insurance.  Mostly we were concerned about damage to the prints in transit, as they are framed with rather costly anti-reflective, high light transmitting glass.  This allows us to make certain that they are properly transported and handled and arrive in good order.  We will then spend Saturday and Sunday driving back to Edmonton, hopefully with a chance to do a little shooting along the way.
We also have a gallery show coming up at McMullen Gallery here in Edmonton.  It is a smaller show and will only include a total of about 20 prints.  This show starts in August, and just overlaps the end of the Regina show by a couple of weeks, so we need to prepare additional prints for this show.  I have all of mine printed and partially mounted and matted, as well as some of the framing materials cut.  I think I will spend an extra couple of days and finish those up right now, while I am set up for cutting and assembly.  Then the finished prints can just be stored until we are ready to deliver and install them later in the summer.



No comments: