Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Days Numbered for Local Landmark...??

For as long as I can remember, and I've lived in Edmonton for 50 years, the Southbend Motel has been a fixture down on the south side.  A small, unassuming motel on Calgary Trail and 51 Avenue.  It was once on the very edge of town, but is now lost in suburban Edmonton, on the fringe of the industrial area.  This place was once owned by former city alderman Ed "Watchdog" Leger.  He passed away some years ago and I have no idea if the property is still owned by his family or not.  Rumor has it that the Cedar Park Best Western next door now owns it.
This past spring there was a fire in the motel and immediately afterwards it was shut down.  I recently noticed that a construction fence was set up around the place, and that the windows and doors are now largely boarded up.  It appears as though the place is about to be demolished.  The buildings themselves are rather non-descript and not particularly photogenic.  But the vintage neon sign out front looks pretty cool and has a really nostalgic feel to it.  I don't think the sign has been illuminated for years as most of the old neon tubes are missing or broken.  Fearing that the sign might suffer the same fate as the motel I vowed to myself that I would get out and photograph it before it disappeared.
Last night, in the late evening light I took a break from my framing and headed out with my view camera.  I captured about 5 shots of the sign from a couple of different angles.  All were on 4" x 5" black and white film.  Once I finally get this Procession West project wrapped up I will have a chance to get back into the darkroom and catch up on processing all of the film that I have shot over the past few years.  For now, here is a digital snapshot from my little point and shoot camera.



No comments: