Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winter Returns...

It appears as though the warm fall like weather has come to an end.  We woke up this morning to an inch or two of fresh snow, and much colder temperatures than we have had in a long time.  I think it only managed to climb up to around -20C today and there was a breeze that made it uncomfortable to be outside.  The forecast for the next week is for very cold temperatures and more snow.  Daytime highs are only supposed to approach the -20C that we experienced today, and the night time lows are forecast to be in the -30C range.  Since we were basically house bound today I decided to tackle one of my photo projects.  For months now I have been meaning to set up a still life paleontology shot.  The image is intended to invoke the mood and feeling of the Great Dinosaur Rush at the turn of the last century.  I can just imagine those old time paleo-prospectors sitting in their tents in the evening, examining the finds of the day and trying to identify them.  To that end I have been gathering the necessary props to shoot this image.  My intention is to make some fine art prints from the resulting negatives.  As I have not yet decided whether to produce contact printed Van Dyke Brown prints, or sepia toned enlargements, I shot this set up with both my 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras...



No comments: