Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dad and Anna Day

Last Monday I set out on the final day trip of my Christmas vacation.  This time around my middle daughter Annelise wanted this to be a special day, just for her and I.  So, we set out in the morning, and planned to make a day of it.  I stopped and got her the "Big Breakfast" at Rotten Ronnie's before we hit the road.  She loved it and worked on it all day long, eventually finishing it off in the afternoon.  Not bad eatin' for a six-year-old girl!  Once again the skies were overcast and the light very flat.  And... once again I headed east, passing yet again through Elk Island National Park on our way further out to the north east.  As with the past few trips the absence of large mammals in the park was eerily noticeable.  We stopped and I shot some images of aspen trunks.  As I look at how well this image turned out, I kind of wish I'd had more ambition and dragged my big view camera out of the truck...



We continued north out of the park and drove around all afternoon.  Anna was anxious to find some old buildings that we could poke around in.  Eventually we found a couple of interesting old yards and the two of us wandered around together making some photographs.  Although it was mild, the sun never really came out and it remained somewhat breezy.  I never quite got up enough motivation to get the heavy artillery out of the truck.  So this day was spent with just to the two of us enjoying each other's company, and taking a bunch of snap shots.  Here are a few more...




As the day came to an end we drove back home and chatted about how much fun we had together.  I really enjoy the one on one time with my daughters, and this day was no exception.  I couldn't help but feel just a little down at the prospect of my Christmas vacation coming to an end.  The mere thought of having to return to the office the next morning was more than a little depressing....

No comments: