Sunday, January 27, 2019

Busy Weekend

Even though I didn't go out to the cottage this weekend, it was really busy.  I got back to some old activities that have been somewhat on the backburner for a while, and it was a nice change.
On Friday evening I hosted the first meeting of 2019 for the Monochrome Guild.  We have a renewed enthusiasm and the membership of the group has grown.  We now have 16 members, and potentially one or two new ones to be added.  I was faced with the difficult challenge of asking a couple of former members and friends to step aside.  These two have not been active in analog photography and have shot very little, and done no darkroom work for quite some time.  We have had several new members come on board over the past year or two and they all seem really energized and enthusiastic.  We are becoming a lot more active and involved as a group and I am really encouraged.  But in the best interests of our group, and to keep the Guild to a manageable size, I had to ask a couple members to step aside.  They may return at some point if they become involved again, but that remains to be seen.  Some of our current members are new to film and the darkroom and it also remains to be seen if they demonstrate an ongoing commitment.  But gone are the days of only three or four members showing up for a meeting.  Long live film...!
On Saturday I went to my shop for a few hours in the morning.  In finished installing two drawers in the first section of kitchen cabinet, and starting finishing the two cabinet doors for the same section.  I also worked on two interior doors for the two bedrooms, and a coat hanger made from antique door knobs.  Shortly after lunch I had to head home to get read for a hockey game.
The Renegades played a rare afternoon game at Knights of Columbus Arena against a team called the Hungry Beavers.  We used to play these guys on a regular basis but in recent seasons have not been in the same division.  We were recently moved up to a higher division and find ourselves matched up against our old rivals again.  The game was heated and the battle level quite high.  It was pretty much all even in the first period.  We scored four quick goals in the second and jumped out to a significant lead.  They battled back a the end and made it close but we hung on for a 9-7 victory.  I was exhausted after the game after all the puck battles defending in front of our goal and in the corners.  It is certainly a challenge for an old guy like me to keep up to all these younger players, but I'll try to keep doing it for a little longer...
I have never been much of a fan of movies.  I don't mind a good one from the point of view of the entertainment value, its just that it is very rare for me to feel inclined to sit still long enough to watch one.  Margarit constantly gives me a hard time about it.  Our first two dates back in the late 1990's were to the movies, but in the past 20 years I don't think I've gone back.  Once we took the girls to see a kids movie but other than that I haven't set foot into the theatre in this millennium.  Back when I went to the last one I think it cost about five bucks.  Last night I agreed to go and see Bohemian Rhapsody with Margarit.  She had already seen it a couple times and was convinced that I would like it.  For those not familiar with it, it is the story of Freddie Mercury, lead vocalist for Queen.  I was exhausted enough from hockey that I knew sitting still wouldn't be a problem... I just hoped I could stay awake.  The film was excellent and I really enjoyed it.... no problems staying awake.
Today I went out for a day trip with my middle daughter Anna.  We went for breakfast and then hit the road.  We headed northeast of the city to Elk Island National Park and then beyond to some small towns.  The light was flat at times but there were moments when the sun popped out and it looked pretty spectacular.  The wind was an issue on this day and photography was not much of an option.  But we had a great drive together, listened to some music, and had a chance to talk.

No comments: