Monday, January 14, 2019

Another Working Weekend

I just returned from another weekend up at the cottage in Nordegg.  Once again I was out by myself.  Mostly I worked on a bunch of small chores.  Changed a door latch, installed a door stop, hung some pictures, and installed a bunch of baseboards.  I now have all of the baseboards done, with the exception of the two main floor bedrooms.  I can't finish these until the interior doors and casings are in.  And I can't install those until I finish building the doors.....
When I arrived on Saturday morning I opened up most of the shutters and started the wood stove.  It wasn't long and the deer showed up.  Two does were standing out in the yard, looking at me through the window.  I went out to put some oats out for them.  They wandered off a short distance... but not very far.  They are pretty tame and used to me by now and probably stayed within about 30 feet.  Once the feeder was filled with oats, the deer had  heyday...!  Soon there were seven of them out there, all fighting over the oats.  The more aggressive ones were rising up on their hind legs and striking at the others with the front hooves.  They were all anterless, and I assumed that they were all does but my neighbor pointed out to me that the bucks start to shed their antlers at this time of year.  Its possible that at least a couple of them could have been bucks.
There is not much snow left out there.  In the bush, under the trees there is bare grass showing.  Out in the open there is a crust of hard old snow.  All my tracks from before Christmas are still there, somewhat melted, but not snowed over.  Any slope that faces south or west and gets a little sun is also bare.  Its still only mid-January so perhaps there is more snow to come.  But so far it has been a really mild winter.
Until I finish up some cabinets and doors I am kind of at a standstill with the cottage construction.  Not sure exactly when I'll head out there again but next time it may end up being for a relaxing, rather than a working weekend.

No comments: