Monday, July 9, 2018

Dad and Helena Weekend

Like usual, I headed back to work out at Nordegg last weekend.  This time around my youngest daughter Helena decided to come with me.  Margarit and the two older girls stayed home.  For the first time all year, I decided to head out on Friday right after work.  In the mad rush to get out of town I forgot to grab the keys to the cottage.  I got as far as the airport when I realized my mistake.  I called Margarit and asked her to run the keys out to me, hoping to save a little time.  It did, but I neglected to tell Margarit that I needed the keys to the ATV's as well, and she only brought me the cottage keys.  We pushed on and made the best of it.
My next door neighbor Dan was out with his family, including his 11-year-old niece Avery.  Helena and Avery hit it off really well and played together all weekend.  This left me free to focus on my work.  In finished roughing in some electrical down in the crawlspace.  Then I tried to work on some electrical stuff out in the garage.  I mounted the subpanel and installed some boxes for receptacles.  I strung a little wire, but the ATV's were in the way and I was unable to finish, or to put up any octagon boxes for lights.  I had to leave that for another time.
On Sunday I carried on with the installation of pine paneling to the second side of the high ceiling.  I got the first six or seven rows of tongue and groove boards on, including fitting around the flue for our woodstove.  I also put up more vapor barrier and insulation in the high ceiling.  I think if I could spend one more weekend out there I would be able to finish the ceiling.  I have a bunch of trades coming out over the next little while and the push is on to try to get things up and running.  Rollshutters, mechanical, electrical and flooring should all be wrapped up over the next month or so.  Then it will be substantially complete and I can back off a little from my rigid work schedule.  At that point I hope to be able to slowly tinker away at some of the interior stuff, and spend part of my time enjoying the outdoors.  I haven't had my camera out in ages, haven't taken an ATV ride yet, and haven't put a fishing line into the water....




No comments: