Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Canada Day Long Weekend

It was cool and overcast and threatening rain for most of the long weekend.  Margarit and I went to the Eskimos football game on Friday night.  On Saturday morning, bright and early, Hailey and I hit the road for Nordegg.  Margarit and the other two girls drove out separately later in the day.  My brother-in-law Shawn drove out too... and arrived at our place just a few minutes before Hailey and I.  This would be his first visit to our place... and he seemed blown away!
Most of Saturday was spent unpacking and setting stuff up.  I puttered around a little on some work in the cottage but didn't accomplish a lot.  In the evening we had a big communal BBQ and our friends Shelly and Eric and their daughter Amy joined us.  They are also building a cottage out here... about 12 lots over to the west.  We built up a big fire in the evening and sat around visiting and blasting tunes on the iPod.  It showered off and on a few times during the day, but never really became rain.
Sunday I was up early, determined to accomplish a little more.  I spent the better part of the day working on the high ceiling.  I got all the pine paneling finished on the kitchen half of the cottage, including the light shaft of the skylight and the ceiling trim.  Shawn helped me out passing stuff and helping me secure the tongue and groove boards up on the high scaffold.  The girls put the seats and handles onto our canoe, and also assembled the electric log splitter.  With Shawn's help they set to work on our big pile of logs and got a number of them split and stacked.
That evening we were all pretty worn out and turned in early.  Shawn had spent the first night in his tent, but this time around there was more rain in the forecast, so he moved inside.  There were no fireworks in town this year and perhaps my recollection of previous years is wrong...  I could have sworn there was a show, but perhaps I am just recalling some of the neighbors setting some off.
I was up at 7:30AM on Canada Day Monday.  The sky was clear and the sun was shining but I could see my breath in the air and the temperature was only about +2C.  By the time the last of the girls got out of bed at the crack of noon, it had clouded right over and was threatening to rain.
Shawn packed up and headed for home in the early afternoon.  Margarit and the two younger girls did the same a little later in the afternoon.  I spent the morning adjusting one of the entrance doors and finishing up the last of the interior casing.  Then I cleaned up and organized the interior of the cottage so that some of our trades could continue with their work over the next little while.
Our mechanical contractor will be back to finish up some of the rough in work.  And, with the casing now on, our rollshutter guys can install in the next week or so.
Next time I come out I will finish up some electrical rough in down in the crawl space and out in the garage.  My friend Rob is coming back out sometime in mid-July so that we can finish all the electrical and move the power supply over from the temporary panel, to a permanent connection on the building.  Once all of that is done then I will return my attention to the rest of the pine paneling on the ceiling, and the other interior finishing work.
By about 3:00 in the afternoon, when Hailey and I finished tidying up, it began to rain fairly heavily.  It rained most of the way home.  I understand that there was a Heavy Rainfall Warning in effect for the area all day on Tuesday.  We missed most of it through the long weekend and only got dusted with some light showers off and on, and on the way home.  But, it was cool and overcast for most of the weekend and felt more like early May than July.  Not surprisingly the subdivision was very quiet and a lot of our neighbors didn't bother to come out.  That didn't really hurt our feelings and we enjoyed our time out there despite the weather.



No comments: