Wednesday, February 22, 2017

New Film - Foma Retropan Soft 320

This is my first attempt at using a new film.  I first came across this film about a year ago and bought a couple of boxes to try it out.  I've been shooting some images with it over the past several months and finally accumulated enough sheets to set up and process a batch.  It is manufactured by Foma Bohemia in the Czech Republic.  I rated the film at the box speed of 320 iso.  I developed it in Ilford Microphen Developer, diluted 1:1, for 15:00 minutes at 24C.  
The film has very pronounced grain, much more so than any other film I have ever used, even infrared.  The tonal values are quite soft and open.  I had to crank up the contrast in this scan quite a bit and even still it is not particularly harsh.  The grain may not be overly evident in this scan, but it is very obvious with a larger file, or in looking at the negative.  Obviously this look is not suited to everything, but it is another option for situations where the grain and the softness are desirable.  Perhaps some portraits or maybe studio still-lifes, as well as certain landscapes under a complementary light.
This particular shot was taken back in early December of 2016 as the ice bloom on the North Saskatchewan River was underway.  I took this with my Ebony SV45TU view camera and a Fujinon 240mm lens.  I used a #25 red filter to increase contrast, but it's effect seems subdued.


No comments: