Friday, September 18, 2015

Tri-X in PMK, N+1

Last weekend, on September 13th, I processed another batch of Kodak Tri-X Pan 4" x 5" sheet film.  Unlike the other recent batch that I processed, this one received N+1 development.  The extra development time increases contrast in the negative.  This was a conscious decision, made at the time I exposed the film, based on lighting conditions present at the time of exposure.  I don't think that my scanner really holds the low values of these stained negatives properly.  They print nicely on silver gelatin paper, but I can't seem to get a scan from these negatives that looks as good as the final print.  I suppose that doesn't really matter as the darkroom print is infinitely more important to me than any scan.  These scans are simply to get a feel for what a final print might look like... nothing more.
I process this film using a Jobo CPP processor and Jobo 3010 Expert Drums.  The continuous agitation of this processor lends itself well to this staining developer, though I don't care for it with other film and developer combinations.  The film is exposed at 400 iso and is processed for 16:40 minutes at 20C.  After a water stop bath and fixing the film is returned to the used developer solution for a 2:00 minute afterbath which intensifies the stain.
These three images were taken during the Monochrome Guild Spring Photo Weekend down in the Rockies.  We explored various locations in Banff National Park, Yoho National Park, and Kananaskis Country.




No comments: