Monday, September 14, 2015

Oregon Coast on Tri-X

The recent batch of 4" x 5" Tri-X Pan negatives that I processed in PMK included a bunch from our April trip out to the Oregon Coast.  For Spring Break 2015 the girls and I rented a beach house in Newport, and spent a week out on the coast.  This batch includes all the negatives that received normal development.  I have another batch, still in the washer, that received plus development.  Those will be posted in the coming days.











This last shot is of a spot on Cape Perpetua called Thor's Well.  A sea cave in the volcanic rock has collapsed and at high tide, when the surf is high, the waves pound into the face of the rock and surge up through this hole.  Then, when the wave recedes, it creates this 360 degree waterfall.  The first couple of images that I took here were OK, but not spectacular.  As I continued to work with my camera, the tide was coming in and the surf was getting heavier.  With one particularly large wave I was forced to grab my camera bag and scramble for higher ground.  As I turned around I saw my view camera perched on my wood tripod, standing in about a foot of water.  I dreaded the next wave as I was convinced it would knock it over.  I managed to steady the camera and get this shot before being forced to pack up and move inland.  Quite the spectacle to say the least...!!


1 comment:

Chris BIGDoer Doering said...

That bridge is amazing! I love those pics Rob.