Sunday, August 23, 2015

J&C Classic 200

A few days back I processed a batch of 26 sheets of J&C Classic 200 Film in 4" x 5" format.  I've had this material for quite a few years.  J&C Photo was a photo supply company based in the St. Louis area.  They were forced to shut down operations due to what was officially called "a frivolous lawsuit" by one of their customers.  This was unfortunate as they were one of the first North American retailers to start importing some of the films from Eastern Europe.  This included Efke and Maco, as well as their own branded film... this J&C Classic material.  I'm not sure who made it for them, as the only information listed on the box, other than the J&C branding, was that it was made in Europe.  I suspect it may have been made by Efke as the packaging and batch numbers were very similar.  It doesn't matter any longer as both J&C and Efke are no longer in existence.
This was an old school emulsion that I always felt had a bit of a harsh and dirty sort of look.  Of course that is somewhat dependent on how it is exposed and processed.  I have always exposed it at the rated box speed, and processed for plus development in Kodak HC-110, dilution B.  This is quite a vigorous and fast working developer.  I have several boxes of film left and will continue to work with it until I run out.  I think it works well in certain applications.
These first two images were taken in late 2013, during one of the Monochrome Guild Fall Photo Weekends in Jasper National Park.  Both images were taken in the park up at Medicine Lake.  This lake drains away over the late summer and fall leaving an almost empty lake bed with just a channel of the Maligne River flowing through it.  It has always been a favorite spot of mine.



No comments: