Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Newest Batch of Infrared Negatives

In between work, and hockey games, and kids activities I have found little snippets of time to get down in the darkroom and continue with processing my backlog of negatives.  Upon reflection I guess this is partially because the weather has been so crappy.  If it was nicer and there was an opportunity to get out and do things, I probably would not be spending this much time in the darkroom.  The first day of spring has come and gone and here we are, almost into April, and I awoke this morning to a couple inches of fresh snow. Daytime high temperatures have been in the range of -3 to -8C, and at night it has been getting down into the range of -10 to -20C.  For the past couple of weeks I have been optimistic, always hoping that next weekend it would get better.  For nearly three weeks straight this pattern has continued, and it sounds like we will be stuck with these conditions for at least a few more days.  It is not looking like this weekend will be nice enough to get outside much.  Wouldn't you know it... the first weekend in ages without a hockey game and the weather will probably not permit any outdoor activities.  Looks like I may be able to catch up even further on my film backlog....
A few days ago I processed yet another batch of Kodak High Speed Infrared Film in 4" x 5" format.  I am just about caught up with this stuff now and am currently processing images that were taken in 2012 and 2013.  There were a handful of interesting images in this current batch and I have scanned a few to be included here on my blog...

This image of a sage or juniper skeleton was taken down in Southern Alberta during the Fall Prospecting Trip in October of 2012.

In April of 2013 a few of the Monochrome Guild members headed out to Nordegg and the Kootenay Plains.  We hoped to photograph at the Nordegg minesite but a forest fire in the area forced us to explore further up the valley.  This image was taken from atop an outcropping of hoodoos, near the Siffleur River.

On the way home from working on the Dinosaur Trackway site in the Teck Coal mine near Sparwood, I spent a day photographing in the Crowsnest Pass.  This old mine building, with Turtle Mountain visible in the background, was taken in the fall of 2012.

In February of 2013 I had to make a business trip down to southeastern Saskatchewan to measure some skylights for a project.  I took a couple of days driving home across southern Saskatchewan back into Alberta.  This shot I call "Nowhere Bridge" and it is of an old concrete bridge spanning a ravine, with nothing but grain fields surrounding it.

In the Summer of 2013 we were travelling in the foothills of western Alberta with my relatives that were visiting from Germany.  We made a stop at Windy Point on Abraham Lake and I took this shot of the glacier polished granite outcrop.

In the fall of 2012 Palcoprep was contracted to make molds of a Dinosaur Trackway site that had been discovered near a mountaintop adjacent to an active coal mine.  This was the Line Creek operation of Teck Coal, near Sparwood.  These infrared images seemed to isolate the tracks a little better than the other shots that I took on traditonal black and white film.


No comments: