Saturday, March 10, 2012

March Day Trip

The weather on Friday was absolutely gorgeous.  A new high temperature record of +13.5C was set in Edmonton, surpassing the old record of around 12, set back in the early 1940's.  Unfortunately I was stuck back at work and was unable to get out and enjoy it.
The forecast for Saturday was not nearly as good, but still pretty reasonable, so I made plans to get out for a day trip.  As I was leaving the city I found this sign on a neighborhood pub...  I just had to chuckle over that one.


The forecast temperature of +5C was reached late in the morning, and at one point it peaked at about +6C, but that's about all she wrote....  But it was mostly sunny and very pleasant to be out.  The snow that fell a week or two ago is quickly melting and it is becoming muddy and very spring-like. 
The Monochrome Guild is just getting started on a photo project based on the Alberta Heartland.  This is the area northeast of Edmonton that is being converted from small town and agricultural to one of the largest industrial sites in North America.  There are already numerous refineries and upgraders in this area, that process the crude oil from Alberta's Oilsands.  There are many fabrication yards, pipelines, infrastructure projects and further development underway and in the planning stages.  Our group wants to document the swift change that has taken place here over the past 100 years.  From fur trading post, to bush being cleared for family homesteads, to the coming of the railway and the development of small towns and now moving forward into these massive industrial projects.  We also want to document the people and the landscape and the things that are being left behind in the name of progress.  We hope that this will become a group exhibition of black and white photographs.  To that end I went out by myself today and did a little scouting around.  Mostly I was up in the northern part of Strathcona County.  I made a few photographs with my view camera, and took a few documentary snap shots with my digital point and shoot...






No comments: