Sunday, December 11, 2011

Short Drive...

I took a short drive out to Elk Island National Park this afternoon.  Originally I intended to get up and out much earlier, but it was the "crack of noon" before I got my act together.  It was a rather dull and gloomy day due to the heavy overcast skies.  It was not pleasant, but still relatively mild considering the time of year.  The day time high temperature, out in the park, peaked at around -6C and fortunately the winds were very light.  There was a very strange mood to the sullen skies and even the wildlife seemed to have given up on the day.  The air was still, the sullen skies heavy, and not a hint of life around save for a few birds.  I took a few shots of some windfalls beside one of the lakes in the north part of the park with my 4x5.  This area is too wet to access most of the year and it is only the solidifying effect of the colder temperatures that make it possible.  By 3:30PM the light was getting even duller and I gave up on further exploration, and chose to head for home.  On my way out of the park I noticed two of the namesake ungulates of the park.  Although it is very common to see bison, moose, deer and coyotes, I didn't see any today.  But I did observe two very skittish elk, only the second time I have seen them in my many trips to the park.


No comments: