Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Small Loft

On Friday July 28th I put in a full eight hour day working in the guest cottage.  The push is on to finish up all the woodwork and all the painting.  Once this is done, it will allow me to clean the place out, vacuum up all the sawdust, and start on the installation of flooring.  It is surprising, and a little frustrating, that everything is so inter-related.  I can't do one thing until several other steps are completed first.  This is further complicated by the fact that I am working by myself, and some things just take a lot longer with only one.
Once the flooring is in I will be able to put the range in place.  That will allow me to then install the final section of cabinet, where the microwave oven will be placed.  Then I can finish up the last little bit of subfloor, to the area where the range is currently sitting.  With flooring in place then I will be able to mount the toilet in the bathroom, and finish the hatch that goes down to the crawl space.
Also with the flooring in place I will then be able to install corner trim, casing and baseboards, all of which I am currently applying various finishes to.  And once the last section of cabinet is in, then I can do the tile backsplash in the kitchen.
It was cool and overcast and breezy all day so I decided to tackle the small loft above the bathroom.  There are some plumbing vent pipes and the exhaust duct for the bathroom fan that needed to be enclosed.  I had started on this in the past and got part of it done, but never finished it.  There was also a little corner trim needed where the ceiling met the walls.  With the done I continued with some edge trim around the loft.  This consisted of a 2x6 painted "robins egg blue" and installed on the flat around the edge.  This provides not only a visual border, but prevents anything up top from rolling off.  I used a piece of quarter round painted "buttercup yellow" on the underside of the border to trim off the upper edge of the aspen paneling.
Later in the afternoon I applied a first layer of paint to the remaining casing.  Some of the casing has already been painted but there are about ten lengths left to be done.  Late in the day, once all the inside work was completed, I planted 15 more of the pine seedlings that I brought out.





No comments: