Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Jasper Lake

In October of 2022 I was out with my friends from the Monochrome Guild on the annual Fall Photo Weekend to Jasper National Park.  The twenty year tradition was resurrected after a short interruption for the Covid pandemic.  One of our first stops was on the shore of Jasper Lake.  I set up the view camera three times at this stop, and I'm happy with all three images.  But I was rather surprised to learn that the one that I had the least optimism for, is actually the one that I like best.
This shot was part of the recent batch of T-Max 100 processed in 510 Pyro developer.  The sky was smoky due to the fires that had been burning for some weeks in an area just north of this location.  Normally the background mountains would be more prominent in this shot.  They are there, but somewhat obscured by the smoke of those fires.  
I shot this with my Ebony 4x5 view camera and a wide Rodenstock 90mm lens.  I used to #25 Red Filter to increase contrast, and to help cut through the haze of the smoke.



No comments: