Friday, August 24, 2012

Summer Vacation - Day 1

We started our vacation at the TL Bar Ranch.  On past visits we had always booked a trail ride, and this time was no exception.  We went on a two hour trail ride into the badlands. This was the first time that Karl had ridden a horse, and I think for Martina as well.  All the girls came along... even Helena in a buddy saddle.  This time around Shawn and his kids decided not to ride and stayed back in the campsite.






After the trail ride, in the heat of the afternoon, we tried to stay cool and just relaxed and visited around the campsite.  In the evening we had a BBQ and tried to put a dent in the local beer supply.  After dark a nearly full moon made a spectacular appearance, rising through a bank of clouds.




After their work was done for the day, all the horses were put out to pasture.  Later that night they wandered over into our campsite.  Just checking us out and seeing if we had any treats for them.  We eventually turned in for the night.  The girls and their Mom decided to try sleeping in the tent, while I retired to our trailer.  In the middle of the night I was awakened by the trailer shaking.  I put on my glasses and looked out into the moonlight to find that the horses had returned to our campsite.  One of them was giving himself a good scratch up against the side mirror of my truck.  I got up, shooed them away and went back to sleep.  About and hour later they returned and woke me up yet again.  This time I went out again, and chased them a little further away.  They finally got the hint and left us alone for the rest of the night.



No comments: