Sunday, April 15, 2012

Yet more snow... Day Trip Cancelled

I bunch of the guys from the Monochrome Guild had planned a day of shooting for Saturday April 14th.  But, once again we got another spring snow storm that this time dumped about 3 to 4 inches of wet snow onto the city.  The foothills, where we had planned to go, were supposed to get around a foot.
So, Saturday became a darkroom day instead.  I mixed up a batch of Ilford Perceptol developer and started out with processing my three test shots taken on Fuji Neopan Acros 4x5 film.  They look pretty good, but as I haven't processed any of the other test shots in alternative developers, I have nothing to compare to yet.  Since I had the developer all mixed up I thought I would continue with a batch of film.  In the past I have processed my Kodak T-Max 100 sheet film in this developer, diluted 1:3, and processed with my Jobo.  This processor is handy, but as there are no longer any repair parts available, and as I am not convinced I like the continuous agitation that it affords, I decided to switch to hand processing with hangers, in vertical tanks.  This method utilizes very minimal agitation which should better support the low values.  However, I think that a somewhat longer development time will be in order to give a result similar to what I'm used to.  When I initially turned on the lights and looked at my processed film, I thought the negatives were a little thin, and maybe could have used a longer development time.  And this might in fact be the case... But by this morning, once the film was washed and dried, it didn't look so bad.  I scanned a number of the negatives and I'm really impressed with the way that they look.  I think next time I process this film in this developer, I will still increase the time slightly, but not as much as I first expected.  These images were all taken in 2011 and early 2012. This batch includes some images from summer camping trips, some from day trips last fall and this past winter, as well as a couple from my "Unfinished House" series. I really like most of them, and look forward to processing the additional 20+ exposed sheets that I have waiting.  















After the film had been processed and put in the washer, I turned my attention to some printing.  Saturday night I worked on two large exhibition prints for the Procession West project.  Despite the recent rejection, I have no intention of giving up on this project.  I printed my "Atlas Mine" and "Windows" images, both originally taken in 1999.  As I worked on these I mused that it has been over a dozen years since I took these images, and although I have dabbled with a couple of work prints over the years, they have never been seriously printed.  And, now they find their way into my gallery submission.  Hopefully the time is right...

No comments: