Monday, November 25, 2019

More War Wounds

When I played in the Hockey tournament in Banff I bruised myself.  I think it was in the last game of the tournament on Saturday....  But I did crash to the ice a couple of times during the games on Friday night.  One of those times my hockey pants twisted out of position and I essentially had no padding.  
On Saturday afternoon and evening when the girls and I were wandering around Banff my backside was really sore and it was extremely painful to walk up a slope or a set of stairs.  Now a week later, the bruises are showing up.  I have a huge purple bruise about the size of a dessert plate on my posterior.  These is another smaller one on my hip.... and then a few days later one showed up on my tailbone.  I can't really share pictures of these as it would be sort of X-rated.
When we played the two late games on the return to our regular season schedule on November 19 and 20, I made sure and really got these injuries more painful and fell onto them a couple more times.
The game on the 20th was a really rough one, and the officials didn't do a very good job of keeping the game under control.  At one point around the midway mark, some kid on the opposing team cross checked me heavily into the boards.  This was in retaliation for a hit I laid onto him along the boards a few seconds earlier.  The difference was that my hit didn't draw a penalty, but his resulted in a 4 minute double minor.  My ribs felt really sore after that hit and I had a headache... but I managed to finish the game.  Now, a few days later, I think at least one of my ribs is cracked.  What I thought was just a bruise must be something more.  Every time I twist or bend over or lift something there is this burning pain in my ribcage... kind of like heartburn but centered in the bone.  We now have a break of of over a week until our next game so I'll have to wait and see if I'll be able to play....
Got the guys number though... he better watch out next time...!

No comments: