Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Astoria River

This is a scan of a recent shot that I quite like.  This was taken during the recent Fall Photo Weekend in Jasper with the gang from the Monochrome Guild.  The film was 100 T-Max exposed at 80 iso.  The 4" x 5" negative was processed in 510 Pyro for 7:45 minutes at 24C.  I used my Ebony SV45TE view camera and a Nikkor 150mm lens.  This particular shot was exposed at F 36.0 and a shutter speed of 8 seconds.  I have another version of this set up that was taken with a much shorter exposure, but I like the blurring of this longer exposure better.  This one has been well-liked and received a fair bit of attention once I posted it to my Flickr account...


For years I have been meaning to try painting and sketching.  Back in Junior High School I received an honor award as the top male artist in my school.  I ended up not continuing with any arts training as the guidance counsellors of the day convinced me that learning a second language was more important.  Here I am at age 53... can't speak a word of French despite taking it for six years in school, and I missed out on the arts.  I purchased some sketch pads, some fine art paper, some pencils and pens and charcoal, some brushes, and some watercolor paint.  Mostly this stuff has been stored in my cupboard for the past decade or so.  During this recent cold snap that we just endured I decided to give it a try.  Below is my first attempt at a pen and ink sketch of the Astoria River.  I attempted... rather poorly... to colorize this a little with a wash of some watercolor.  A lot of things about this piece discourage me somewhat.... but I've vowed to myself to try again, and hopefully next time the result is a little better.....




No comments: