Thursday, February 4, 2016

Winter Hockey

2016 has not been very kind to the Renegades Hockey Team.  We have been on a losing skid and have lost of first four games of the calendar year.  This goes back to January 4th when we lost a close game to the Flyers, 7-6 in a shootout.  
Our next game after that was the one at Rexall Place, which we lost to the Moose by a score of 5-2.  The guys played two games while I was away in Calgary.  The first was on January 23rd, the day that I delivered my prints down to the Leighton Art Centre.  The team had an early morning game and lost to the Bulldogs by a score of 9-1.  Then on January 30th, while I was down at in Calgary attending the Ag2 opening, the team played the Trojans and lost by a score of 10-4.
Last night I was finally able to get back on the ice for a late game against the Spiderpigs.  It was time to put our losing skid to an end.  Several of the players told me that I can't miss any more games because without me to organize the roster, the team doesn't play very well.  Being the oldest and slowest player on the team I know I can't contribute all that much on the ice.  But it's nice to know that my efforts are appreciated and that I do make a contribution.  Our ice time started at 10:30 at Castledowns Arena.  We had a short bench with only 11 skaters and our goaltender.  Three of our guys cancelled at the last minute so we had to play with two forward lines and five defense.  Two of the guys that played defense were normally forwards.  But, we managed to jump out to an early lead and just kept building on it, eventually winning by a score of 10-2.  It felt like a great weight was lifted off our backs and hopefully we can put together a push going into the last 9 games of the regular season and into the playoffs.  Next game is coming up on Sunday night, a rematch against the Flyers.  It's going to be a tough game to fill the roster for as this is Super Bowl Sunday and all the football fans will be pre-occupied.

No comments: