Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pohl Family Reunion

A couple of weeks ago, at my Dad's memorial service, some of my Aunts and Uncles suggested that someone really needs to organize a Pohl family reunion.  It has been many years since anyone has attempted something like this.  I seem to recall going to one when I was a very young boy, but nothing since.  Of course there were the traditional family Christmas dinners years ago, while my grandparents were still alive... but that was a long time ago.
I talked to my brothers and my cousin Vic about it and we decided to go for it.  It wasn't long before my cousin Donald also came on board.  So now the five of us are moving forward, making plans for a family reunion in 2014.  We probably should have got our act together and done this years ago while some of the older generation was still around... but we didn't.  We can't change the past and all we can do is make plans to do it now.  Better late than never.
My grandparents both passed away in the 1990's.  Only three of their six children are still alive, and the oldest, Walter, will be 90 next summer.  There were 17 kids in my generation, including myself and my two brothers.  All of that generation is around and living within a reasonable driving distance.  Most are married and most have children.  I'm really not sure if there are any in the next generation, but I guess we will find out.  Depending on how many are able to make it, we could potentially have 50 or more people.
We have decided that June would be the best time of year as the weather will be mild and everyone will not yet be busy with summer vacation plans.  The weekend of the summer solstice has been chosen and we have booked a Community Hall not far from the old family farm.  This is kind of central for most of the family, and close enough for the older generation to be able to make it out, at least for part of the weekend.  Now it is just a matter of contacting everyone and inviting them.  Then we will have the entire winter to organize all the details.

No comments: