Monday, September 26, 2011

Fall Colors

Hailey turned Nine this past Saturday.  She had a birthday party here at the house with several of her friends.  A couple of them ended up staying overnight for a sleepover.  I was rather worn out from the late hockey game the night before and pretty much just lazed around like a slug.  The next morning it was beautifully clear and sunny with the temperature forecast to get up to +29C.  I packed up my camera gear and headed out for a short day trip.  I ended up out at Elk Island National Park.
I stopped at a couple of spots not far from the park entrance.  The light was beautiful and the fall colors had just popped right out.  I stopped in three different spots along that short stretch of rode and set up my 4x5 view camera for four different set ups.  Some might find it funny that I would put that much time and effort into taking black and white photographs of the colors...  But, I did shoot a couple of sheets of color transparency film as well.  I found it rather helpful to switch my little digital camera to "black and white" mode and use it to preview the effect that the various contrast filters had on the fall colors.  I've attached one image taken this way through a #8 yellow filter.
Several times I stopped to make a photograph and pulled over to the side of the road to set up my big camera.  There was quite a bit of traffic in the park as a lot of people were out for the day from the city.  The bison were grazing off in the distance but otherwise I was pretty much on my own.  Yet every time I stopped, the bison eventually wandered about and lumbered past me.  They passed within about 50 feet of me on three different occasions, and it wasn't even the same herd each time.
Eventually I packed up and headed for home as we had a family dinner planned for that evening.  My parents were coming over as well as my brother-in-law and his two kids.  We enjoyed a nice visit that evening before winding the weekend down.









No comments: