Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pyro











I processed a batch of 4x5 film in Pyro developer last night.  Specifically I use Gordon Hutchings PMK formula.  Pyro developers are based on Pyrogallol, a developing agent that has been in use for decades.  It stains the geletin of the black and white negative, proportionately to the amount of silver in that area.  The result is an increase in overall density, contrast and highlight detail.  I shoot all types of film and process in many different developers.  Over the past couple of years I find that the best negatives, the ones that I use to make my exhibition quality fine art prints, are often processed in Pyro.  I think I have to try and use this developer more often.  This particular batch was all Kodak Tri-X Pan 320, but I also regularly use this developer with Ilford Delta 100.  In the past I have occasionally used it with Ilford FP4+ and with Kodak T-Max 400.

No comments: